Approaching the “Big 3-0” can be scary to some, but I’ve decided to grab it by the reins and embrace all of the positive changes that should come with this new and exciting part of my life. After all, 30 is really just a number and numbers don’t define us. The older we get, it’s important to realize that experiences and relationships should be the things we nuture most.
So without further ado, here’s my list of things to do/accomplish prior to turning 30!
1. Make peace with your body and treat it right–realize what you can and can’t eat to feel good on the inside and find a type of exercise/activity that you really enjoy doing and DO IT!
2. Travel abroad to a place you’ve been dying to go.
3. Ride in a hot air balloon.
4. Figure out who your real friends are–reconnect with ones you’ve lost touch with and nuture positive friendships. Rid yourself of toxic friendships that drain you.
5. Take a weekend trip exploring your city/area–try new restaurants and secret places people recommend.
6. Evaluate your finances– it sounds boring but we all know we didn’t learn this in school, so make sure you take some time to open a long-term savings account, discuss retirement options and investment plans with a financial counselor, and evaluate what you need and want to save for in the future.
7. Read these 5 books: one recommended by a friend, one on a topic you’ve been interested in but have never explored, one to help you be more productive/effective within your chosen profession, one that you never really read in high school, and one biography/autobiography on someone you look up to.
8. Run in some type of race–be it a 5k, marathon, triathlon–whatever!
9. Learn to speak another language. (A lofty goal, but a workable vocabulary will suffice 🙂
10. Find a sustainable lifetime hobby.
11. Volunteer for a cause near and dear to your heart.
12. Experiment with a hair color and/or style that you’ve always wanted to try but haven’t yet.
13. Update your wardrobe to include lasting & classic staples that will work wonders to intermix between work and play. Oh, and THROW OUT cheap, trendy pieces you’ve been holding onto for no reason!
14. Organize your wardrobe, financial statements, books, make up, household items, and anything else that’s been weighing heavily on you.
15. Take your pet somewhere new & fun to make lasting memories.
16. See a concert on or by the beach.
17. Take a girls-only road trip!
18. Go horseback riding.
19. Visit a state you’ve never been to before and do something out of the ordinary.
20. Make a photobook that highlights fun times in your life.
21. Watch 5 classic movies.
22. Write a letter to yourself in 5 years and seal it. Don’t open it until then.
23. Stay up all night doing something fun and then watch the sun rise.
24. Quit a bad habit.
25. Establish a good habit or routine by challenging yourself to do something positive every day for 21 days.
26. Sign up for lessons– surfing, cooking, dancing, anything!
27. Go hiking.
28. Do something that scares you.
29. Try a new food.
30. Ask a parent, relative, or friend what they wish they would’ve known at 30.