Outfit: Me Too bow flats [similar here] | Polka dot pants via Forever 21 [similar here] | Sweater via Old Navy | Buffalo check button down | JCrew sunnies | Jean jacket [similar here]
Inspired by the cooling weather, I decided to dress up an outfit with a little traditional northern layering. Feels like 3 years ago before I moved when I used to layer on at least three pieces to combat the ever-changing weather.
This past weekend was particularly reminiscent of the fall I’m used to, with temperatures in the sixties. Seems odd to be talking of cooler weather with family and friends in Pennsylvania experiencing temps in the mid 40s, but I can’t help it–I am so looking forward to the holidays and it’s starting to pop up in my wardrobe.
I don’t know what it is lately that’s making me feel as if it’s Thanksgiving already but I can hardly wait. Thanksgiving this year will be spent in Erie, PA when Nate and I fly up right after my birthday. It’ll be nice to spend some time with family and of course my mom’s amazing holiday meal.
Staying true to dressing in holiday style, I’m loving reds right now. A color I normally reserve for the Christmas season only, I’m beginning to warm up to it. Red contrasts nicely against neutrals like gray and denim (well, it’s a neutral to me!). Sometimes, though, I feel as if I love an item too much and I’m guilty of that with these polka dot pants in particular [evidence here]. Just yesterday, I was thinking to myself that I need to purge all the sweaters and things from last fall/winter that I’m not wearing anymore. Hello, shopping!
What colors are you gravitating toward this fall?
Staying healthy seems like an uphill battle…one day you’re making 3 dozen chocolate chip cookies (okay, so that was me last weekend) and the next you’re swearing off carbs.
But it doesn’t have to be this way. On October 10th, Walmart is kicking off American’s biggest health fair to promote healthy lifestyles! #Just10 is the idea that just 10 minutes can make your life healthier. Instead of trying to tackle health goals that require a lot of time, effort and will power – focus on what you can do in just 10 minutes to get you started.
So, to celebrate Nate and I have compiled our list of 10 tips to living a healthier life that we have started taking just in time to prepare for our wedding!
- Drink as much water as you can. Sneak it in by adding fruit infusions such as lemon, raspberry, mint or cucumber. See here for 38 recipes to create delicious detox water. It doesn’t have to be boring to drink water!
- Plan your meals and cook ahead. This is something Nate and I are currently working on. Every other Sunday, we head to Walmart and grab meats/fish like lean hamburger, salmon, tilapia, and chicken breast along with ingredients to create healthy sides like fresh salads and baked sweet potato fries. We spend Sunday nights cooking up and packing lunches for the week that include rice, veggies, and a lean protein. We may out dinners (mostly that we can cook in the crock pot) so that we can stay on track and avoid the pitfalls of eating out.
- Sneak in exercise. I’m huge on biking and taking the dog for a walk twice a day to get my steps in, he’s big on lifting weights at the gym. Whatever your preference, carving out even ten minutes a day to do some type of physical activity can reap huge health benefits. On days where we’re incredibly busy, we walk instead of drive to do blog photos and take the dog on a quick walk to spend some time together.
- Choose the right snacks. Lately, we’ve been really into snacking on hummus and carrots. I’m finding that there are a ton of new hummus flavors out there that keep snacking interesting. Our faves: roasted red pepper, spinach and artichoke, and pine nut! Nate loves munching on Greek yogurt and granola as a mid-morning snack to stay energized (I’m lactose-intolerant so I tend to go with fruits!)
- Get enough sleep. I know it’s said far too often, but getting enough sleep (think: 7-8 hours) can have serious health benefits. From healthier skin to a more alert mind, getting an adequate amount of sleep sets your body up for success the following day. Try to avoid keeping the television on, power off any devices, and try not to sleep with any lights on. I personally enjoy winding down for the day with a hot shower or bath with lavendar salts to help me relax.
- Be honest with yourself about what you are consuming. There are tons of fantastic apps out there nowadays (i.e. LifeSum, MyFitnessPal, and LoseIt) that help you to keep track of water intake, time spent exercising, and food consumed. Keeping track of what goes into your body can help you to be more conscientious when it comes to making better choices.
- Give your mind a break. Take a ten minute break per every 45 minutes of work. Research shows that this helps you to retain information more effectively and help you to continue performing at peak levels.
- Limit alcohol to once (or none) per week. Although you may think after a tough week “Thirsty Thursday” sounds like a good idea, if you already have plans to go out on Saturday, spare yourself the agony of waking up dehydrated and grumpy and stay sharp on Friday. Additionally, alcohol=empty calories that you body doesn’t need.
- In addition to food and exercise, social health is equally as important. Take a quick ten minutes out of your day to call a friend, talk to your parents, make plans to have coffee, or plan an activity with your significant other that doesn’t require being consumed with the cell phone. Making connections with others rejuvenates you and helps you to stay in touch with those who mean the most.
- Schedule that physical. The phone call to the doctor takes less than two minutes, the actual physical? No more than 30 minutes; but so worth it. Detecting problems early on makes them easier to solve and keeping the lines of communication open with your doctor can make monitoring your health a walk in the park.
Our challenge for the week:
- Drink 8 glasses of water each per day.
- 30 minutes of exercise a day, 5 days in a row.
Join in! Share your #Just10 in the comments below or tweet your favorite ways to get healthy in ten minutes or less! Anything I should add to the list? Share below!
Compensation for this post was provided by LISTERINE® on behalf of Socialstars. Opinions and styling are 100% my own. #RinseMadeRad
LISTERINE® has always been a trendsetter… Now, they’re taking it to a new level through a partnership with TARGET®’s Mad for Plaid collection. Since fall is now in full swing, I’m finding it my duty to explore all things decked out in the season’s hottest print. A long time favorite print of mine, plaid or tartan has been on the scene for years. Most recently in last year’s plaid blanket scarves and now popping up in heels all over, the print shows no sign of letting up and I wouldn’t want it to. Now, plaid has made it debut in dental care and you can find a limited-edition bottle of LISTERINE® outfitted in plaid exclusively available at TARGET® September 13 – October 31 for under $5. Get ready for #RinseMadeRad!
I feel as if mouthwash is a staple and Nate and my bathroom and we honestly use it at least twice a day. It’s scary to think that brushing alone misses 75% of your mouth, so it is critical to use a therapeutic mouthwash like LISTERINE® Antiseptic to keep your mouth clean. I’ve become an addict with the cool mint flavor because I feel like I never can achieve fully fresh breath without my routine rinse.
As for a nod to plaid fashion, I’m back this season with my favorite plaid blanket scarf to pay homage to the cooling temperatures. This leather jacket (originally $350 that I found at a vintage shop for $30!) has been a staple in my wardrobe for about 5 years now. I find that it works well during the fall season to layer and remain stylish, especially when draping scarves over top.
To complement the mustard stripes in this top, the various colors in the blanket scarf worked well to print mix while being anchored by the soft, buttery brown of the jacket. There are so many ways to wear the blanket scarf: see how I styled it with a skirt last year here.
To find out more about LISTERINE® Brand products, visit http://www.listerine.com
Cartwheel Offer- 10% off, Buy 3 bottles get one free (in-stores)
Don’t forget to follow on Facebook: facebook.com/listerine